Friday, March 21, 2014

Just Add German

It was near the end of Deutsch I yesterday when a student delivered a package that came in for me that day.  I was a little surprised - all my orders for the year had already arrived, there really was nothing coming in for me (certainly not a package).  

Out of curiosity, me and my students opened it up to investigate.  To my surprise, it was a "Teacher Kit" from Just Add German.  I had never heard of them before, and after a short web search we learned that they're a group that promotes German in schools.  The campaign is run by the Goethe-Institut and the Foreign Office of the Federal Republic of Germany.  

The teacher kit was filled with all sorts of goodies - wrist bands, pins, tote bags, etc.  Actually, to be very specific, it came with: 
- 100 Brochures
- 10 Posters
- 60 Postcards
- 60 Buttons
- 10 Notebooks
- 20 Pens
- 50 Wristbands
- 5 Tote bags
- 40 Stickers
- 1 USB-Stick
- 1 DVD with animated shorts

My mistake was probably opening this box in front of students - they were all super-excited and I ended up giving each of them a wristband and button if they wanted them.  They were also very enthusiastic about the pens (pens?  really guys?  alright, you can have them...).  For all of my other classes, I continued to give out the pens, buttons and wristbands until I ran out.  They were all proudly wearing their new gear as they left class - 

I think the brochures and postcards are great, too.  When we have articulation days or electives fairs, they'd be great to hand out to students to promote the German program here.  I still have buttons, so those are great little prizes for students when we do events at the school.  The website also has some promotional videos that might be useful.


Although I didn't order the one I received (I suspect it was ordered by our county for each school with a German program), it definitely has a lot of promotional materials.  If you're interested in getting one, here's all the information.  Note that it does NOT mention the DVD with animated shorts on this list - I'm not sure if it's something that is normally included or not.  

- Frau Leonard

2 comments:

  1. Great post! The Teacher Kits are meant to be a tool for effective marketing for German programs. Here at the Goethe-Institut we are very glad that it's well received and appreciate this feedback! Check it out at www.justaddgerman.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The students definitely liked them - there are great prizes for them, informational material for me to give out, and I really like the DVD!

      Delete