Monday, August 19, 2013

Exciting Syllabus Challenge

The Creative Language Class blog had an Exciting Syllabus Challenge earlier this month.  Unfortunately I missed out on entering :( but as a plus I got some great ideas on how to revamp my syllabus!  Check out the difference!
Old boring syllabus that was five pages long
New, aesthetically pleasing syllabus that's only three pages
Their post is a good one to check out.  They have a lot of suggestions on what to focus on and why to make these changes.  Only a few comments I wanted to add:
  • I like the idea of putting a picture of the teacher on the syllabus.  Sure, the kids will know what you look like but it's good for the parents to see you early on.
  • Code scanning - LOVE IT!  Most students have an app on their phone that lets them scan these codes.  You can set one up for your class website, online resources, etc.  I used Kaywa (it's free!) to set up the two I've used so far.  

Feel free to take a look at my new and improved syllabus for German 2.

Also wanted to thank La Clase de la Señora Dentlinger - her blog post about the syllabus challenge is what got me thinking about how to change my own (and I may have borrowed some of her ideas...).

Hope this gives you something to think about for next year!

- Frau Leonard

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I saw the post on the CLC blog, too. I didn't have time to look at it at the time and meant to go back and check it out and forgot. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the kids will like the change - I'm curious to see what both my new and returning students think when they finally come back on Monday!

    ReplyDelete